As a local Independent Insurance Agency, we want to be sure and offer the most helpful advice possible when it comes to helping our clients navigate the auto claims process for an accident involving a collision (assumes you and/or your passengers are uninjured).
The first step – and one that helps everything else run smoothly – is taking the most appropriate action at the scene of the accident. Here are a few tips that you’ll hopefully find helpful:
- Notify the police immediately.
- Obtain and save contact info, addresses, drivers license numbers, and insurance policy numbers of all drivers involved.
- Try to accomplish #2 prior to the arrival of law enforcement, if possible. Police sometimes have a tendency to take over and assure you that “everything will be in the report”. If possible, do not rely on this happening. Even if all the info you need is in the report, it will not be immediately available.
- Note damage to other vehicles.
- Do not admit fault.
- Do not discuss the accident with anyone except your agent, your insurance carrier or the police.
- Be wary of following advice of law enforcement when it comes to filing a claim. They may or may not offer wise counsel.
- If the other party is clearly at fault, call their insurance carrier from the scene and file a claim. You can normally google the claims dept for most major insurers. The other driver’s carrier claims dept may be able to speak to their insured and confirm their fault immediately. You can even offer to put the other driver on the phone with their insurance carrier’s claims dept.
- Take photos of the scene and the damage to other vehicles
- Do not hesitate to contact us with questions. You can often reach me after hours on my cell at 770-490-1202.
Let’s be careful out there!